Truth and Reconciliation
Over the past decade, our country has witnessed many acknowledgements related to the need to reconcile the relationship between Indigenous and non-Indigenous peoples for the wrong doings of the past and present, and to create action to assure that history won’t repeat itself in the future. This micro-credential will consider the early societal norms, beliefs and intentions that lead to the creation of Indian Residential Schools. We will introduce the Truth and Reconciliation Commission and discuss how the TRC Calls to Action can be used to create a future founded in the spirit of mutual respect and understanding.
- Identify the societal norms, beliefs and intentions that led to the creation of residential schools.
- Analyze the impact and consequences of the residential school system.
- Summarize the mandate, structure and process of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.
- Examine the TRC’s Calls to Action.
- Develop strategies for supporting the Calls to Action within their own profession.