MASTER OF SOCIAL WORK
Type: GRADUATE DEGREE
Length: TWO YEARS (Part-time)
Partner: WILFRID LAURIER UNIVERSITY
Delivery: INTENSIVE – Students attend week-long sessions over 6 semesters
Next Intake: September 2023
Tuition: $14,590.12*/degree ($7,295.06*/year)
*subject to change
The Indigenous Field of Study Master of Social Work (MSW) program is completely informed by an Indigenous worldview.
Our goal is to develop social work practitioners who demonstrate an understanding of, and respect for, the history, traditions and cultures of Canada's Indigenous Peoples. This unique program includes the involvement of Indigenous Elders, a traditional circle process, and Indigenous ceremonies. Students explore and further their own holistic growth and learn from work in cultural camps, in classes, and in the field. Academic knowledge is balanced with experiential learning and the need to practice on the basis of Indigenous worldviews.
This is an advanced standing graduate degree program for individuals who already have a Bachelor of Social Work. This program is delivered in partnership with Wilfrid Laurier University. Once students have submitted an application through FNTI, a Laurier application must be submitted through the Ontario University Application Centre.
Click here for a list of MASTER OF SOCIAL WORK COURSES
Students with the following qualifications will be considered for admission to this Advanced Standing Program:
- Bachelor of Social Work required.
- B average in your last 10 half credit courses or equivalent.
- Qualitative research methods course and 8 half-credit social science courses.
- Evidence of paid and/or voluntary experience in human service organizations is required. Two or more years of experience is strongly recommended.
- Although this program is open to students of all cultural backgrounds, candidates for the Indigenous Field of Study must also have some familiarity with the traditional wholistic healing approach and/or have used it in their practice. This will be demonstrated through a personal statement, references and an admissions interview.
Application Deadline: March 1, 2023