Internal / External
Human Resources Assistant
Contract (one year)
About FNTI (First Nations Technical Institute)
Since establishment in 1985, over 4000 students have graduated successfully from FNTI with certificates, diplomas and degrees, granted in partnership with Ontario’s Colleges and Universities. An Indigenous post-secondary institution, FNTI offers programs targeted at Indigenous learners across a wide range of post-secondary disciplines including aviation, health, business, and public administration. FNTI delivers programming locally through its main campus in Tyendinaga on Ontario’s beautiful Bay of Quinte, as well as in numerous community locations throughout Ontario.
The Human Resources Assistant will be a member of the Corporate Services team and will focus on the provision of HR advisory and transactional services as they relate to HRIS, job evaluations, recruitment, compensation, onboarding, training, performance and leave management for all Divisions.
- Responding to requests for information, creating and maintaining confidential and non-classified HR files on SharePoint, operating a scanner
- Preparing and receiving correspondence (email, word documents, etc.) including the preparation of employment contracts
- Maintaining HR databases such as excel spreadsheets, SAGE, Breeze 360, and HR Downloads
- Composing and proofreading draft letters and email correspondence
- Processing, verifying and registering documentation relating to human resources activities such as staffing, recruitment, training, performance evaluations, job evaluations, and employee benefits i.e. group insurance and pension
- Acting as administrator of FNTI leave management system. Monitoring and reconciling employee attendance, completing attendance reports as requested by the management and executive team
- Compiling and preparing additional employee reports and maintain employee information by entering and updating employment and status-change data, using SAGE, Breeze 360, and excel
- Advertising job vacancies, populating screening charts, assisting in screening of job applicants, participation on panels as needed, and conducting reference checks
- Scheduling assessments, by coordinating invitations, and agendas through written and verbal communication. Arranges zoom video conferences and sends coordinates to all parties
- Welcomes new employees to the organization by coordinating and tracking orientation, arranging for onboarding through communicating and sharing information including setting up and assigning training, sending welcome package including onboarding checklist.
- Provides payroll information by verifying weekly program submissions, tracking, updating and maintaining information.
- Maintains employee confidentiality and protects operations by keeping human resource information confidential.
- Provides input and recommendations on continuous business improvement and quality service by following organizational policies and standards
- Assists with coordination of in-house and external training activities and information sessions
Qualifications and Competencies:
- A Diploma in Office Administration or HR Management, and two years related experience; or an acceptable combination of education, training and experience
- Excellent initiative, strong attention to detail and able to monitor work for quality
- Ability to identify and resolve issues in a timely manner, while using sound judgement, tact and discretion, and maintaining a high degree of confidentiality
- Demonstrated strong customer service focus with a pleasant attitude
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills, and be a
- Demonstrated team player
- Excellent knowledge and ability to navigate Microsoft Office 365, internet, web-based data systems, including SAGE and Applicant Tracking Systems
- Strong organizational and time management skills in order to work in a dynamic environment with shifting priorities
- Proficient working knowledge of MS Office, and online video-conferencing platforms i.e. Zoom
Conditions of employment:
- must provide a satisfactory CPIC and vulnerable sector check
- willing and able to telework
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply, however FNTI provides preference to those applicants with Indigenous ancestry who self-identify
Please forward your cover letter, resume, and two references by May 5, 2021 to:
Samantha Souliere, HR Manager
Thank you for your interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.